Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Real Deal About Valentines Day.

Sorry, this post is late by a few hours I know (and apologize) but unfortunately I have been away from the computer and gettin' shagged since Vday. (Ha, no.)

We've received a few emails from some readers about Valentines Day. To sum everything up, you guys said:
  • Thanks for the ideas, I was about get her (something stupid).
  • Valentine's Day is STUPID. Why are you endorsing it?
  • Valentine's Day is GAY and it's a completely commercialized holiday and holds NO significance.
  • Love should not be celebrated ONCE a year but everyday. You should love whoever you love every day, not just for one designated day.
Please understand the author of this post is a dangerously romantic girl who has not grown old enough to have lost her passion yet. She is in the prime of her youth, if you may. She is not some anti-mainstream, anti-conformism chick staying far and wide out from the crowd. With this understanding, you may clearly see where I am coming from.

I think Valentine's Day is great. It's a super fantastic delicious day. Why? Because it's the day that everybody know a day 'dedicated to love'. However, I don't love it.

I'm completely neutral about it, actually. I'm not those girls who wake up in the morning and fret over how many roses she'd get during the day compared to her equally busty girlfriend. And I am definitely far from the people who go around giving people dirties on Valentine's Day because they are "endorsing it".

However, Valentine's Day is a magnificent day because it is another day and therefore just like any other day - not because it is Valentine's Day - we should love, love, love lurve!

Love is wonderful and should be celebrated at every chance and every opportunity that may call on it. And isn't Valentine's Day like any other day and thus should be celebrated as well?

So what if it's commercial. It's a day that people can dedicate to love and what is so wrong with that?

Back to the days when I were a 13 year old cool teeny bopper aNDZ typin lyk DIZ, I, too started to believe in the "boycott Valentine's Day! It's too commercial" crap. This was probably because I did not understand the HELL it was with that! It just sounded out of mainstream and thus cool.

This was until I grew up and realized I was 12 no longer and decided to expanded my horizons, especially because as I said - I am extremely romantic. It didn't take long. Googling Valentines Day, Saint Valentines with history brings back plenty of information. And when I read into it, Valentine's Day is pretty awesome. It may not be awesome today because we made it SUCK but at it's core, it's a wonderful day to remember the sacrifices of some people in history for what we enjoy each and everyday. Love.

You don't have to go over the top for Valentine's Day because real love shouldn't be physical or have a hefty price tag attached. Love should be in there.

Love on Valentine's Day as if it's any other day. And remember, some people in some parts of the world, now or before or in the future may be willing to die for love. If you don't have a Valentine this year or next, celebrate it for them.